Are you facing gopro not charging issue recently and want solution? Then you must read this guide on how to fix gopro not charging issue.
GoPro cameras are popular for their durability and versatility, making them ideal for capturing your most adventurous moments. However, like any gadget, they can sometimes encounter issues. One common problem faced by users is the GoPro not charging. The issue can manifest in various ways – the GoPro may not charge fully, slowly, or not respond when connected to a power source.
This can be particularly frustrating, especially when you’re all set for an action-packed day and find your GoPro powerless. In this guide, we will explore the potential causes of this problem and provide troubleshooting solutions to get your GoPro back to its full power.
The primary aim of this guide is to help you identify and solve the issue of your GoPro not charging. We understand how crucial it is for your GoPro to function optimally, capturing all your exciting moments without fail.
Hence, we have compiled a set of practical troubleshooting methods that you can easily follow. We aim to equip you with the knowledge and tools to effectively resolve this problem, eliminate future occurrences, and ensure your GoPro is always ready to capture your next adventure.
Understanding Your GoPro
Before delving into troubleshooting, it is important to understand some basics about your GoPro device. GoPro cameras are compact, lightweight, and designed for extreme action photography. These devices come with high-quality lenses and sensors, capable of capturing 4K video and high-resolution images. They are known for their robust build, which is waterproof and shock-resistant build, making them suitable for various outdoor settings. The batteries in GoPro cameras are rechargeable, typically offering hours of recording time. We’ll focus on these batteries, as their inability to charge can hinder the performance and functionality of your GoPro.
Importance of Proper Charging for Optimal Performance
Correct charging practices are vital to attaining optimal performance from your GoPro camera. The battery life significantly impacts the camera’s ability to capture high-quality images and videos during your adventures continuously. A properly charged battery ensures that the device functions dependably and prevents unexpected shutdowns, which can lead to the loss of important footage or missed opportunities. Moreover, incorrect charging can lead to battery damage, reducing lifespan and overall performance. Therefore, comprehending and implementing the right charging procedures is as essential as understanding the camera’s features for your GoPro’s optimal performance.
Four Reasons Why Your GoPro Is Not Charging
- Faulty Charger or Cable: Your GoPro not charging may be due to a faulty charger or cable. Chargers and cables can get damaged over time due to regular wear and tear or sudden incidents like short circuits. If your device is not charging, it’s worth checking and replacing these components if necessary.
- Software Glitches: Software issues can also prevent your GoPro from charging. These can come from bugs in the system or from unsuccessful updates. A system reset or firmware update might be necessary if this is the case.
- Battery Issues: The battery itself could be the problem. Over time, batteries lose their ability to hold a charge. If your GoPro battery is older or heavily used, it may need replacement.
- Environmental Factors: Finally, environmental conditions play a role in battery charging. Extremely hot or cold temperatures can affect the battery’s ability to charge. Ensure your GoPro is in a moderate-temperature environment when charging.
Steps To Check Why GoPro Not Charging?
Examining the Charger and Cable
The first step in troubleshooting is to inspect your charger and cable thoroughly. Physical damages, including bent prongs, frayed wires, or broken casing, can prevent your GoPro from charging effectively.
Checking for Physical Damage
Check your charger and cable for any signs of physical damage. Look closely for any bends, cuts, or burns on the cable or any deformation on the charger itself. Suppose you detect any signs of physical damage. In that case, replacing the damaged parts immediately is recommended to prevent further potential issues.
Testing with a Different Charger/Cable
If your charger and cable appear in good condition, yet your GoPro is still not charging, try using a different charger and cable. Suppose your GoPro begins to charge with a different charger or cable. In that case, it indicates the original charger or cable was faulty. In this case, you should consider purchasing a new charger and cable to ensure proper charging for your GoPro.
Addressing Software Glitche
Restarting the Device
Restarting your GoPro can often resolve minor charging issues caused by software glitches. To restart your device, hold the mode button on the side of the GoPro for two seconds, then release it.
Updating the Firmware
Keeping your GoPro’s firmware updated is also crucial for ensuring successful charging. Firmware updates sometimes include patches that can fix bugs preventing effective charging. You can update your GoPro’s firmware through the GoPro Quik App. Once updated, retry charging your device to see if the problem persists.
Inspecting the Battery
Checking for Battery Damage
Inspect the GoPro’s battery for any signs of damage. Look for swelling, leaks, or any physical deformities on the battery. Also, check the terminals on the battery and inside the battery compartment on your GoPro for corrosion, which can also prevent successful charging.
Replacing the Battery (If Necessary)
Suppose your battery is damaged or you’re experiencing charging issues after addressing all the above steps. In that case, your battery might be the root of the problem. In this case, consider investing in a new GoPro-compatible battery. Ensure you purchase your replacement battery from a reputable source to avoid potential issues with counterfeit products. Upon installing the new battery, attempt charging your GoPro again to see if this resolves the charging issue.
Considering Environmental Factors
Optimal Conditions for Charging a GoPro
Proper charging conditions can significantly impact your GoPro’s battery health and longevity. Charging your GoPro in a cool, dry environment, away from direct sunlight or any heat sources, is best. Extreme hot and cold temperatures can negatively affect your device’s charging process and even damage the battery in the long term. Remove the GoPro from its protective case while charging, as this can allow for better heat dissipation.
What to Avoid to Prevent Charging Issues
To prevent charging issues, avoid using non-official GoPro chargers and cables. Non-compliant chargers can provide the wrong voltage or current, causing damage to your device over time. Avoid charging your GoPro with a computer or laptop USB port, as these often do not supply enough power for an optimal charge. Also, please refrain from using the GoPro while charging, as this can cause the device to overheat and disrupt the charging process. Lastly, never leave your GoPro charging unattended for extended periods, especially overnight, as this can overcharge the battery, leading to reduced lifespan and performance.
Tips for Maintaining Your GoPro Battery
- Regularly Update Your GoPro Software: Ensure your GoPro runs on the latest software. The company often releases updates to optimize battery performance and resolve charging issues.
- Proper Storage: Store your GoPro and its batteries in a cool, dry place when not in use. Avoid leaving them in hot environments like parked cars, as this can degrade battery health.
- Limit Wi-Fi and GPS Use: Switch off Wi-Fi and GPS when you’re not using them. These features can drain the battery quickly, leading to more frequent charging and potentially shortening the battery’s lifespan.
- Minimize LCD Screen Use: The back LCD screen uses significant power. Please turn off the screen or set it to power down automatically when not in use.
- Use Original Accessories: Always use GoPro’s official accessories, including chargers and cables, to ensure the right power input for your device and battery.
- Remove Batteries When Not in Use: If you’re not planning to use your GoPro for a while, remove the batteries. This can prevent potential issues with battery drainage.
In conclusion, we’ve covered several points to help resolve and prevent ‘GoPro not charging’ issues. We discussed the importance of using the device correctly, whether it’s not using the GoPro while it’s charging or not leaving it unattended for too long. Maintaining your GoPro’s battery is just as crucial. Steps include:
- Regular software updates.
- Proper storage.
- Limiting the use of power-draining features like Wi-Fi and GPS.
- Minimizing LCD screen use.
- Using official accessories.
- Removing batteries when not in use.
Each of these steps is a proactive measure toward ensuring your GoPro’s battery health, avoiding charging issues, and extending the overall lifespan of your device. Remember, your GoPro is a valuable investment; treating it carefully will ensure you continue to capture those unforgettable moments without interruption. Remember, a well-maintained GoPro is a long-lasting GoPro.
Go Pro Customer Support
- GoPro Official Website – Visit the official GoPro website for comprehensive guides, user manuals, and official accessories.
- GoPro Support Hub – A perfect place to find solutions, updates, and troubleshooting tips directly from GoPro’s support team.
- GoPro User Manual – Detailed user manuals for every GoPro model. Handy for understanding device specifications and troubleshooting.
- GoPro Subreddit – An active online community where users share tips, tricks, and advice about GoPro-related issues.
- GoPro Community Forums – Participate in ongoing discussions or start a new thread to ask questions or share your experience regarding your GoPro charging issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my GoPro not charging?
There could be several reasons why your GoPro isn’t charging. It might be a problem with the battery, the charging cable, or the camera itself. Try using a different cable or charger or charging another device with the same cable to narrow down the issue.
Can I use my GoPro while it’s charging?
Yes, you can use your GoPro while it’s charging. However, it will charge more slowly if you’re using it simultaneously.
My GoPro stopped charging all of a sudden; what should I do?
First, try to reset your GoPro. Check if the charging cable and power adapter work properly if that doesn’t work. If everything seems fine, it might be a battery issue, and you might need to replace it.
How long does it take for a GoPro to charge fully?
Depending on the model and the power source, a GoPro can take 2 to 4 hours to charge fully.
Can I charge my GoPro with a computer?
Yes, you can charge your GoPro with a computer. However, it will take longer to charge than a wall charger.